from Mercado Negro Fish Market
Prep Time 30 minutes
Additional Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1/3 lb cooked octopus (2-3 tentacles)
- 1/3 lb shrimp
- 1/3 white fish (rockfish, halibut, etc)
- 4-6 limes
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped fine (loosely packed)
- 5-6 green onion, sliced
- 2 roma tomato diced (guts removed)
- 1/2 jalapeño, seeds and stem removed, minced
- 1/3 diced cucumber (seeds and guts removed)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup tomato juice OR 2 Tbsp ketchup
- saltines or tortilla chips for serving
- 1/2 avocado
- Peel and devein shrimp and chop in bite size pieces (rounds), leaving 4 whole for presentation.
- Slice whitefish (cube) and octopus (rounds) into bite size pieces.
- Add shrimp and whitefish and octopus into bowl with just enough lime juice to cover. Let sit in fridge for at least 1 hour, but up to overnight (if leaving overnight, omit octopus until just before serving).
- While fish is "cooking" chop tomato, onion, cilantro, cucumber, jalapeño, bell pepper, and combine into bowl.
- Once fish is cooked through (from acid in lime juice), combine fish and lime juice with vegetables and tomato juice. Salt to taste (IMPORTANT: don't salt until you're ready to serve or you'll "cure" the fish).
- Pour into serving dish and garnish while 4 slices of avocado. Serve with saltines, chips, lime wedges, and hot sauce.
Don't bother pairing wine with this dish; it screams for a cold Mexican beer.