from Walla Walla Steak Co.
Yield: 6 cakes (2 appetizer servings)
This is a recipe from Walla Walla Steak Co from our Walla Walla episode! This is enough for 2 people's entrées or 4 people's appetizers.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 ribs of celery, finely diced
- 1 lb lump crab meat (picked)
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs, plus more for coating
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1.5 Tbsp old bay
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter
- 1/4 mayonnaise
- 1.5 tsp tandoori curry powder or 1 Tbsp paste
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, mashed with fork
- 1/2 green apple, sliced in thin strips
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped chives
- Sauté garlic, bell pepper, onion, celery, and old bay with EVOO over med-high until vegetables are translucent
- Add to large bowl with 1/4 cup mayo, panko, and crab meat and mix
- Form cakes into balls, about 8 smaller for appetizer, 6 larger for entrees. Coat each ball with remaining panko.
- Add clarified butter to pan over medium high and allow to get hot
- In the meantime, mix all ingredients for curry aioli (if using curry powder, mix with a little warm water to dissolve), salt to taste.
- Add cakes to pan and sauté on each side until golden brown, approximately 3-5 minutes
- While cakes are cooking, combine ingredients for apple slaw, salt to taste
- Plate: put a dollop of aioli above and below each cake, garnish with apple slaw. Serve with remaining aioli.
This is a perfect pairing with our Abeja Chardonnay from the episode! The acid in the wine goes great with the acid apple slaw, while cutting through the fat of the mayo.