from Walla Walla Steak Co.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
- 1.5-2.5 lb hatchet steak (aka bone-in rib-eye aka tomahawk aka côte de boeuf)
- salt & pepper
- Pre heat oven to 500°
- Pre-heat grill or cast iron to VERY HOT
- Rub steak with neutral oil, such as rice bran vegetable. Season steak with liberal coating of salt & pepper, or your favorite steak seasoning (I recommend a mix of salt, pepper, lawry's, and garlic powder). Don't skimp! A thick cut of beef needs a lot of seasoning.
- Sear on each side of steak until crust forms, approximately 2-4 minutes per side. If using grill, quarter turn half way through each side to achieve criss cross grill marks.
- Put in oven until internal temperature with a meat thermometer reads 125° for medium rare (about 10-15 minutes, but check often so not to overcook).
- Take out and rest steak for 10 minutes.
- Slice against the grain, and serve alone, or with chimichurri, bearnaise, or demi glace.
Pair with a big hearty red like, L'Ecole's Ferguson Estate Bordeaux Blend.