Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 cup red cabbage, sliced thinly into strips
- 3/4 cup rice or apple cider or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 lb pork jowl (or belly), cut in 2 in slices
- 2-3 tomatillo, diced
- 1 small avocado, diced
- handful tender cilantro (stems removed)
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 small lemons, juiced
- 1 Tbsp flour
- Fresh tortillas
- Quick pickle cabbage: Boil 2 cups hot water in tea kettle. In the meantime in separate bowl combine vinegar, salt, and sugar. Pour water slowly over sliced cabbage in colander. Then add cabbage to vinegar mixture. Let sit 30 minutes.
- In meantime, salt pork jowl and sear in cast iron or pre-heated broiler, flipping once (approximately 3-6 minutes per side) until crispy. Remove from heat and Let cool on wire rack.
- In small space pan melt butter, and slowly whisk in flour. Whisk in lemon juice. Add more lime juice or water to taste if mixture is too thick. It should be consistency of tomato soup and taste like like slightly tart butter sauce.
- Slice pork jowl (against grain) into bite sized pieces.
- Serving: In bottom of bowl, place pork jowl. Add avocado on top. Add half of drained pickled cabbage on top (save the rest for another recipe). Surround with tomatillo. Drizzle lemon/butter mixture. Top with cilantro. Serve with fresh tortillas.